Tuesday, March 18, 2014

All Belly

I think this is every pregnant woman's dream- to have people say to you, "You're all belly."


I am not all belly.  I have gained a little weight in my arms and a decent widening of my hips and butt have occurred.  The last few weeks though it is just my belly that is growing out and out and out.  I like it for the most part, looking really pregnant instead of chubby vs. pregnant but I am starting to feel like there is no more room between my rib cage and pelvis.  At the end of the day I just feel so full and get this pain in my right upper abdomen.


Yesterday, I was post-call... I was up most of the night before trying to get 2 kids to stop seizing and awake for most of 36 hours + pregnancy is not a good emotional combination.  Last night in my exhausted state I just broke down... I started telling my husband I didn't know how I was going to make it three more months feeling this big and that there is just no more room.  He looks over at me and says, "Are you crying?"  Yes... I was crying.  Exhaustion and raging hormones will do that to you.  I called it a night and I am fine today.  This is just harder than I thought sometimes.  I love being pregnant, but being a medical resident working a ton of hours, having constant work pressure and serious chronic fatigue makes some days really, really hard. 


I have been trying to focus on all my nesting activities.  It makes me feel like I am accomplishing things and that someday I'll feel ready for their arrival.  I am currently in the process of making 2 quilts.  I don't exactly know how to sew...my mother bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and I've finally dragged it out of the box.  I am pretty excited to be making things with my own hands for our babies but a little scared of how wonky they may look.  Made with love is what counts right? 


I am slowly checking things off the nursery list:
The room is painted, cribs assembled and with mattresses, changing table set up.
I painted the closet 2 weekends ago and the hubby helped me hang a second rod with a shelf on top last weekend to accommodate all their tiny clothes :)
We have 2 built in dressers in the room (our house is a cape cod with such charming little features). One of them got new knobs and I got this awesome wallpaper to line the drawers with.
My mom gave me a little table to use next to the glider which I need to paint.
We ordered a chair and a half glider which should be here in May.
I need to finish my quilts and I am contemplating making 1 or 2 black and white mobiles for either above the cribs or above the changing table.
I ordered this awesome print from Etsy which I'm planning to put with this Hammerpress print, a cute mirror, and a little birdhouse I am painting in a collection above a little bookshelf.
I also want to get big wood or cardboard letters (the first letter of each of their names) to decorate somehow and hang above each crib.


Things are coming together... I will post pictures eventually when it is looking all calm and soothing and pretty just as I picture it in my head.  It's shaping up to be my favorite room in our house. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel your pain. I had twins while in residency two years ago and made it to 38 weeks. I think the 20's and early 30 weeks were the hardest, especially right around 24 weeks...there were lots of tears. At some point though, probably like 35 weeks, it just became comical, but I have never been so tired after a day of working in the OR. Good luck, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! It helps to know someone else with the same crazy work schedule/life has survived twins. My work has been very supportive but that hasn't changed the hours I'm working and the number of calls ect. and it is definitely all catching up to me. I am just trying to count down little milestones-- we're now viable and I only have 1 month of call left! Thank you for the encouragement!! :)

      Delete