Saturday, May 10, 2014

I am old and so are our babies

I turned 30 on Thursday.  I have been told I am ridiculous but 30 does feel and sound quite old (to me).  It was a pretty uneventful birthday with me being knocked up and all but the hubby gave me exactly what I wanted... had flowers waiting, cooked a delicious dinner, poured me a (small) glass of wine, and finished it off with an ice cream cake.  It was wonderful.  I told him I wanted to celebrate later after the girls arrive and he did it just right with this little birthday dinner now.


We had our 32 week appointment and ultrasound this week.  Tomorrow I will be 33 weeks which is just crazy.  Means we're only 3 weeks from our goal and 3-7 weeks from our girls arriving!  Everything looked great on the ultrasound:
Baby A weighed in at 4 lb 4 oz, pulse 145
Baby B weighed in at 4 lb 5 oz, pulse 153


They continue to weigh right around the 50% for singletons and the tech commented that if I make it to term they will probably both be over 8 lb!  So fingers crossed to go a little early- 16 lb of baby is a lot! One of them you could already tell has a ton of hair which got me so excited! I love hairy babies (makes them look more baby & less alien at birth I think).  My friend's daughter had this thick, dark hair and honestly looked like she was wearing a wig and she was just the most beautiful baby. 


The OB proceeded to completely freak me out after our ultrasound. I have mentioned here that my weight gain over the past couple months has been kind of odd.  I don't know if it is primarily due to fluctuations in swelling but one appointment (over 2 weeks) I will be up 5-6 lb and the next only up 0.2 lb.  It has been this way every other appointment to even out to about a 1-1.5 lb weekly weight gain over the month as a whole.  This week I was again up 6 lb.  I was pretty swollen in my feet and hands and I didn't think that much of it given my blood pressure remained normal at 120/81.  No protein in my urine either.  But my OB asks me if they are seeing me weekly to which I replied no every 2 weeks and she said well your weight gain just has me concerned for pre-eclampsia.  In my head I'm thinking "huh? but my BP and urine are normal."  I pointed out that my weight has done this the past 2 months and she agreed but she remained concerned.  I explained that I had an appt made for 34 weeks but I'd be happy to come in next week if she thought that was best.  She said we could keep the same schedule just to call if I notice any more swelling, headaches or just don't feel well.  Great... now I'm going to think any symptom I have is impending doom.


I'm glad the hubby was at this appointment because he helped calm me down.  I am just scared now and feel I need to get everything ready this weekend in case something happens.  I just want healthy me and healthy babies. I would feel much better if they keep cooking for at least 3 more weeks.  Our goal is to bring them home from the hospital with us to the new, crazy, hectic wonder that will be our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment