Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Latest Happenings

Now that that's off my chest I figure I owe you all a real update...

I am now 21 weeks & 4 days... 3 weeks away from viability, 6 weeks from a good chance at healthy babies, and probably 3-3 1/2 months from their arrival.  It feels so close & so far at the same time.

We had our anatomy scan at 18 weeks & 3 days. The babies looked beautiful- measuring on target at 17 week & 5 days, weighing 8 oz each.  Their brains looked perfect & their hearts had 4 chambers just as they should.  My low lying placenta also resolved.  All is well in my uterus which is such a great relief.  We finally decided to find our their genders (well I decided & my husband obliged) and we are having two absolutely perfect little girls.  We are thrilled! I was definitely surprised but we are truly happy to have two healthy little ones on the way (the girls or boys part was so much less important).

The past 2 weeks I have been feeling them move all the time which is at the top of my list of most amazing things I will ever experience. I kept having my husband put his hand on my belly but he really didn't think he could feel them until a few nights ago when he felt them kick (or punch?) several times.  That was awesome too- having him finally feel them.  It is real. This is really happening.  We are so damn lucky.

In the interest of being honest- I have had some not so desirable preganancy symptoms.  I have had some intermittent leaking of colostrum... I actually just looked down after feeling a wet spot on my shirt at this very moment- so hot.  I'm sure my hubby loves this.  Luckily it has occurred in the evenings so far- no embarrassing spots at work.  I also dry heaved a whole shower at 18 weeks which was long after I thought the nausea & vomiting had left for good.  

We also started working on the nursery which has been so fun. We have 2 cribs & the changing table set up.  I painted the room a long time ago with a nursery in mind but I plan on painting the closet (which is bright yellow) this weekend & then making it baby friendly- adding an extra bar & a shelf. We ordered an amazing chair and a half glider which won't be here until May but makes me happy to daydream about. I have big ideas for art & hope to make home made black & white mobiles- we'll see how my crazy schedule allows for me to fulfill all these dreams as their arrival quickly approaches.

Finally my hubby secured an attending job for August & is going to delay his fellowship until January to be able to spend more time with the babies & I in their first 6 months.  The timing of this pregnancy has worked out better than I could have imagined. Since he will finish his residency at the end of June (when we are due) he has a week of vacation to take that month & then is going to take all of July off and we will just live on my salary for 1 month until he starts as an attending (and his salary quadruples) in August. 

Basically we are blessed beyond measure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment