Friday, November 15, 2013

Beware... the crazy is coming out

I am trying very hard not to be nervous.  It is difficult.  I feel less pregnant today and so I start worrying.  I know that doesn't accomplish anything but waiting 2 more weeks for my next appointment and to hear the heart beats is going to be really hard. 

I will be 8 weeks on Sunday.  We heard the heart beats at 6 weeks 2 days so I should worry less... but that reassurance only lasts for so long. 

We switched OBs this week and I feel better about that.  My OB that I've been seeing for my yearly Gyn and this past 1.5 years for infertility delivers at a hospital that does not have a real NICU.  I was already worried about this before I was ever even pregnant- mostly because I am a pediatric neurologist and I see the worst of the worst in the NICUs.  I know this is such a small percentage and that most babies are born healthy and on time but it is hard not to think about the N of 1.

When I found out we have twins cooking in there... the worries jumped to a whole new level and I knew for my own sanity I just could not deliver at that hospital.  I called my OB who left me a message reassuring me they deliver twins there all the time who do well.  That is great, I am happy for those moms, I will not be one of them.  I told my former OB office that I know it is mostly the crazy pediatric neurologist in me but that for my own peace of mind I need to deliver at one of the two hospitals in the city that have a real NICU and well trained pediatric care (even in the middle of the night).

Most of my friends have delivered at one of these hospitals so I got some names at a particular practice and made the switch.  The doctor there had to approve my transfer, but they did, so all is good.  The person who scheduled my appointment said they may not do an ultrasound at this upcoming appointment (which my previous OB said they would definitely do) so I'm hoping I can weasel my way into one or that that person is just misinformed.  I told her I was having twins but that didn't seem to change her mind.  I just want to hear those heart beats again and see them again.

I have to hold it together for 2 more weeks and 4 more days... wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. It's nerve wracking when you have first hand experience with twin related complications, but most twins do turn out to be fine!

    ReplyDelete