Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Late Merry Christmas To You

I just wanted to say a late very Merry Christmas to you all! And early Happy New Year!

The hubby & I's Christmas lived up to all our best wishes. It was the best Christmas yet. Although I'm sure each year to come will only get sweeter.  

The great reveal:
I found a loose sweater to wear Christmas Eve that hid the baby bump pretty well.  I also (really for the first time) fake drank- aka filled the hubby's empty beer bottle with water & sipped on it throughout the night.  I really wanted to throw my folks off the scent.  I think it worked because they were shocked! On Christmas morning we gave my brother and each of my parents their gifts.  They included their actual gifts but also for my brother 2 boxes of Uncle Bens Rice & 2 plastic serving spoons, for my mom 2 Nana cookies & an assortment of pairs of other Christmas themed treats (little M&M men ect.), and for my dad 2 bottles of Old Grandad Bourbon & holiday drinking glasses.  My brother figured it out as soon as my dad opened his gift and eyed me with a sly grin.  My parents were a little slower- I asked my mom the brand of her cookies but she still didn't get it.  Then as she was holding the final gift- a wrapped frame with 2 ultrasound photos- one of each bebe, she yells out, "Are you pregnant?! With twins?" I don't think she really heard us say yes because as she pulled out the frame she was still saying, "Is this for real?" We got a video of this moment (on my new fancy Christmas camera- thank you hubby) & it is one I will treasure.

We left after breakfast to drive to my in-laws. The hubby did not want any fun puzzle for them to try to figure out so we had wrapped up another 2 ultrasound photo frame for them.  They were also very happy for us & excited.  These will be grandchildren 8 & 9 for them but the first living in the same state & within driving not flying distance. So I think they are looking forward to being around to watch them grow.  We face timed with his 2 out of town brothers who did not yet know the news.  We then got to slowly tell the Hubby's grandma & aunts, uncles, cousins ect over the next few days which was fun. 

It was funny how similar people's reactions were, "You're pregnant- congratulations! Twins... Ohhh..." It also got old quick that everyone's first question was "Do twins run in your family?"  First, this is a stupid question b/c identical twins are a random event & even fraternal twins don't have a high genetic component & second, does no one realize this is probably more likely related to infertility treatments & therfore might be an awkward question to ask?  Apparently the answer to that question is a resounding no.  Most people I told the truth- a brief we had a hard time conceiving & were on Clomid which increases your risk of twins.  Some I just said no.  It was kind of refreshing to tell so many people (with no degree of detail) that we had struggled & also to have multiple people share their own stories of difficulties, multiple miscarriages ect.  It felt good putting the subject out there & normalizing it in a way.

All in all this was one helluva Christmas.  We feel very blessed. 

I hope that you all were able to enjoy (or at least survive) the holidays and that the new year brings peace & hope.  

2 comments:

  1. The whole "do twins run in the family" annoys me to end. In ten years I've only seen one case of twins where there was a family history. It's really just random. I've determined it's just a way for nosy people to inquire if you did fertility treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was shocked that was the first thing that probably 75-80% of people asked. Only my sister-in-law said... "And this wasn't from IVF or something?" But that was an equally rude response- as her initial response was "Way to raise the competition." As if having twins was our ultimate plan to produce more grandchildren more quickly than her... although she already has 3 kids. People are strange... there is just no other explanation.

    ReplyDelete