Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Relief...

is two little babies squirming around like crazy in there... moving their little tiny arms and legs to say hello.

Ahhh where do I begin... today was the big "first" prenatal appointment at 10 weeks 2 days.  We also met our new OB.  I am in love... with our babies and with my new OB.  Today was just wonderful in words I will never be able to express.

First a few random moments... I get on the scale and it reads 101.  The nurse starts to write it down and tell me to step off and I'm like "Uhh unless I've lost 30 lbs during this pregnancy that is not right."  Literally after 5 minutes of trying to zero and re-zero it and weighing me 25 times... first 24 of which were 95-100 lbs (my 8th grade, pre-puberty, 4'11" weight) and finally a correct number.  I have gained 5 lbs already... kinda freaked me out but I'm gonna chalk it up to twins and just rejoice in today.

My new OB amazing woman that she is then had the nurse switch us in to the ultrasound room and immediately won me over.  She took my history and asked us about our family history ect. and laughed at my worries (in a good way), reassured me and told me what I really need to hear- "You need to be a patient now, not a doctor." True dat.  Then she started talking a little bit about twins and said well I'm getting ahead of myself let's take a peak at them, confirm it's still twins (no vanishing twin)... and then magic happened and there they were looking all big and like actual babies instead of just amniotic sacs with a little tiny dot like last time.  One of them was kicking the other one in the head- I'm sure this is just the first of many fights I will witness.

We talked some more about my fears and she told me as long as Baby A is head down I can try for a vaginal delivery.  She talked about the risk for prematurity and having a back-up plan for work in case I have to go on bed rest or deliver early especially given my job.  I told her my initial goal is 32 weeks... I want a "feeder grower" as we call them in the NICU- basically good brain, good lungs just needing time to figure that whole eating thing out... that I can handle.  After that my real goal is to make it to 37 weeks- term... that would be fabulous. 

She joked with us and told me that really we should just feel so happy and blessed and that most twins are just fine.  Then said, you will love them more than you thought possible and started to tear up.  I teared up too.  She is right... we already do.

1 comment: