Monday, June 17, 2013

Let's Hear It For the Boy...

Let's hear it for my man...
Let's hear it for my baby...

Although the boys seem to get off easy with the infertility work-up, I have to admit that masturbating into a cup in a public place/clinic is not exactly my idea of a good time!  Luckily my hubby is committed to this process too and had his testing done, painful or not.

Cheers to him and us- his testing was normal too!

For the most part...

He had the WHO Semen Analysis done, not the Kruger.  The basic difference is that the Kruger test is more strict- it gives more detailed information about sperm morphology and predicts fertilization rates in vitro (in the test tube) and presumably in vivo ("in life" aka in the body).  I didn't really know to ask about which one he was getting done until afterward.  If he has to have it repeated at any time I will ask for the Kruger.  For a great overview on evaluation for infertility and treatment options I recommend this book.  Even with my medical background, we don't learn much about infertility and treatment in medical school and I thought this book provided some great information.

As far as his semen analysis, the volume, pH, concentration, motility, and morphology were all normal.  The only abnormality was his white blood cell count which should be <1 million/mL and his was 1.5.  This could potentially suggest that he had an infection of some sort- a epididymitis or prostatitis but without any symptoms that is pretty unlikely.  My OB/Gyn didn't know exactly what to make of it- if it was relevant to our infertility or not and recommended that my husband see a urologist.  The urologist was equally unimpressed and said that there is no clear evidence that this influences fertility unless it effects other sperm factors (aka motility, morphology which were normal), however since the rest of our work-up had been completely normal he recommended antibiotic treatment.  Ciprofloxacin for a month it is!

Since the rest of our work-up was normal our plan had been to start Clomid this month but not knowing if this could be affecting our fertility combined with the fact that our work schedules are completely opposite for the next 2 months we've decided to hold off for now.

So just waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment