Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dealing With Day One

I do not dare to claim I am an expert on this.

It is my first day 1 since starting this blog, but I thought I'd pass along the things that have made it easier for me over time.

The caveat being- I think the primary thing that makes day 1 easier is time.  When you've had 15 months of the 2 week wait it becomes less surprising when day 1 rears its ugly head again.

Things that make day 1 less mopey and more la dee da:

1. Lowering your expectations
  • If I assume each month that I will not get pregnant then getting pregnant at this point would feel like a 70 degree day in March (I live in Ohio people) or a run during which I do not want to die at some point (a month of running does not make me a runner)- something wonderful but so unexpected and fabulous that it would just feel awesome to get to experience.
2. Anticipating and preparing for what lies ahead
  • Basal body temping has actually helped with this because I know that when my temperature goes back down 6-7 days after likely ovulation that I am probably not pregnant and can start to deal with those emotions before day one says "Sucka! Here I am again!"
3. Enjoying things you couldn't if you were pregnant
  • A nice big glass of wine, a giant order of sushi, some soft unpasteurized possibly listeria laden cheese (goat is my favorite variety) can do marvels.
4. Finding an alternate outlet for your emotions
  • My hubby thinks I intermittently find new obsessions and maybe I do but having a more positive focus can completely change your outlook.  Running, decorating my house- doing little crafty projects and planning our bathroom remodel, having a good meal with a good friend can put your mind somewhere else and for much longer than the distracting activity itself.
5. Allowing yourself to cry if you need to
  • No matter how long it's been, no matter where you are in the process, it sucks to feel that disappointment again- in yourself, in your body, in god or whatever you believe is controlling this chaos we call life.  It sucks, plain n simple.


Day 1...
You sneaky little bastard...
I'd like to say goodbye to you for at least 9 months.

Take this as your notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment